Deciding which baby must-haves and gear to get your newborn can be overwhelming at times. One of that must-have stuff is a winter or summer infant car seat cover. This essential item go over the original safety car seat pad of your baby while still letting the harness straps to fit over.
Infant car seat covers for boys and girls can keep them warm in winter, help beat the summer heat, keep bugs out, and protect them from the pouring rain. But the big question is, how safe these products for your baby?
Things to Keep in Mind Before Purchasing a Baby Car Seat Cover
If you’re looking for newborn car seat covers, there are some things you need to keep in mind before making any purchase.
- AAP or the American Academy of Pediatrics does not recommend using any baby products that go under the body of your kids, between them and the straps of the harness. They suggest purchasing a car seat cover that does not have a layer underneath the child. Keep in mind that not all baby items out there are 100% safe to use.
- Sometimes these products are advertised to make you utilize your old car seat since they can make it look fresh again. However, if you have been using the safety seat for more than five years, it is highly recommended not to use it for your baby’s safety, especially if it has undergone moderation or have been in a critical car crash. Keep in mind that crash history of second-hand seats is hard to tell.
- Always check if the cover will fit well, safe, and will not intervene with the straps of your infant car seat. Most car seat companies do not support these products, so you may want to consider checking with your seat’s manufacturer or get the opinion of a car seat inspector before using it.
- Another worth noting is that a lot of these car seat covers does not come with materials that are fire retardant. Furthermore, most may not fit well with baby safety seats. And since car seats do not involve testing of its accessories, it is difficult to know if these covers will affect the safety of your baby during a crash.
Importance of Infant Car Seat Covers
From protecting your sleeping newborn to shelter from winds, this is a baby essential that you should always have in your diaper bag. Here are some of the reasons why it is necessary:
- Temperature Control. These covers will be useful especially if you live in a place where there are four seasons. Getting the right one can help keep your baby comfortable during summer and protect him from winter elements. The cover can seal in heat throughout colder months, while your baby will be protected from the harsh sunlight when you’re strolling in the park during warmer months.
- Protection while your baby is sleeping. Using a cover will encourage your baby to nap longer. It muffles any sound and blocks out any harsh light, which will help your little one to sleep soundly and oblivious to what’s going on around him. Buying the perfect cover will also give you peace of mind knowing that you can check on your baby without disturbing him as he snoozes away.
- Keeps your baby clean. The immune system of infants is delicate thus it is vital to keep them highly protected from illnesses as much as you possibly can. Car seat covers can act as barriers between the outside world and your baby. It can protect them from people who are sneezing and coughing, as well as separate them from any unwanted germs.